Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Easy Acorn Squash Soup


Acorn squash soup

I picked up a couple acorn squash at Trader Joes (the price was great) to make baby food for Jacob. I love these squash they look so cool - they are not that big which makes handling easier - and they have a creamy rich flesh when roasted. I roasted and pureed the squash and I ended up with quite a lot. I wanted to make a appetizer soup for dinner... I looked at the squash and thought perfect. So I heated chicken broth added the pureed squash and herbs and it was great. So easy. Tonight for dinner I was dining alone so I made this soup again and paired it with leftover bread sticks and it was satisfying as a main course too. This soup is pretty thin so it's a nice change. Soup can be SO thick at times almost a porage consistency - well this one is not. It's soup weather today... you really never know around here - one day its 60 degrees the next its 80.

Soup:
1 C roasted and pureed acorn squash (roast at 350 degrees about 1hr - use water to puree)
3/4 C water
1 packet Trader Joes Chicken broth (hopefully it's not too bad for you - if you have chicken broth on hand by all means use that and substitute for the water)
fresh herbs - any kind you like - I used chives and oregano

Boil water in a small pot - add chicken broth - add squash - heat just until simmering - pour into a bowl and top with fresh herbs.

2 comments:

  1. I have 3 acorn squash I got from my co-op and had no idea what to do with them! Trying your soup tonight. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Great information! Would you please consider sharing my link to your readers? Please email me back at haileyxhailey gmail.com.

    Thanks!
    Hailey

    ReplyDelete