Thursday, July 2, 2009

Granola













I have been waiting until we could add honey to make more granola. I made some with stevia and it was good but now I made some with honey and wow it is really good. I made one batch and we ate so much of it that I just made another batch. We have been eating granola around here all day and we still want more. Granola is really good on yogurt, fruit, with rice milk, warm from the oven or by the handful. It is so easy to make if you haven't made it before try it. The possibilities are endless but I will put my recipe on here if you want to give it a try. You really have to watch it and stir it often. It takes a while to crisp up but when it starts to it can start to burn and turn brown kinda fast.
Basic recipe
1/4 C coconut oil (I ran out so I used olive oil not the best choice because of heat)
1/3 C honey
2 TBS maple syrup (I left this out and used a little more honey the 2nd time)
1/4 C water (or coconut milk)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
heat in a small pan on the stove at med/low until just simmering remove and add
1 tsp vanilla
then mix
4 C oatmeal
1 C sliced almonds
1 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C dried unsweetened coconut
combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and pour hot mixture in and stir to combine. Pour out onto a large cookie sheet and bake at 275 degrees stirring often and checking for about 1hr. Remove and add
1 C raisins
12 chopped dates
stir cool and store in airtight containers. I have no idea how long it lasts because we eat it too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment