Saturday, September 12, 2009

Comfort food

When someone says "comfort food" what comes to mind? Rich, unhealthy, lasagna, fattening... However sometimes you just want to eat a basic hot meal. Well I'm here to say "comfort food" CAN be healthy. I wanted crispy chicken even though I don't like fried chicken and never have. I was bored with BBQ'd and broiled chicken. So I decided to make oven "fried" baked chicken, mashed potatoes and peas. We never eat a meal like this so it was fun - it almost looked like one of those pictures on a T.V. dinner box looking at you behind the glass in the frozen food aisle.


It was simple and good and different... especially for someone like me who thrives off of eating different unusually super healthy ingredients and heirloom vegetables. I also had to restrain myself from making a green salad to go with dinner... growing up we ALWAYS had green salad - I honestly can't remember a dinner without one and I seem to be carrying the tradition on.

Dinner for two:

2 small organic chicken breasts - skinless boneless
crushed organic corn flakes - couple handfuls - (Trader Joe's)
1 egg - beaten
2 tsp coconut oil - plus some to oil pan
sea salt and pepper

Potatoes:
4 organic potatoes
almond milk 3/4 - 1 C
sea salt and pepper

1 1/2 C frozen organic peas
1 tsp butter
sea salt and pepper

Oven 350 degrees - Oil a small baking dish. Mix corn flakes with salt and pepper in a small dish - dip chicken in egg and then in corn flakes to coat both sides. Place chicken in pan and drizzle with one tsp coconut oil. Bake 20 min or until done I use a meat thermometer. Then peel and cut potatoes into large chunks and steam or boil until very soft. Use a potato masher or blender and blend with almond milk and seasonings. (I was going to add a bit of butter but they didn't need it.)
Steam peas stir in butter and salt. That's it - easy!

1 comment:

  1. See, I told ya I love your recipes....now I have gotta try that! I looooove comfort food! ;)

    ReplyDelete