Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tamale Pie




Tamale Pie - so easy one dish a side salad and you are done. I don't really have the exact recipe for this one but you just mix up the bottom ingredients top it with cornbread throw it in the oven and there you have it. It's nice to have a meal that is an all in one dish. This is how I made it.
Tamale Pie:
base ingredients:
ground turkey
onions
bell peppers
corn
tomatoes
tomato sauce
kidney beans
chili powder
garlic
cumen
sea salt & pepper
corn bread topper:
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C corn meal
2 TBS honey
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 eggs
1 C water
1/4 C coconut oil (i used the non flavored one)
preheat oven to 425 degrees
Brown the turkey in a skillet mix in onions and peppers and cook some, put in all other ingredients - cook until heated through and bubbly. Pour into a cast iron skillet or glass pan. Mix corn bread ingredients together and spoon over the cooked ingredients & smooth the top - throw it in the oven and bake at 425 degrees umm... maybe 20 min - I really have no idea just check to see if the corn bread is done if it is then it's ready.
Instead of topping it with sour cream I made a mock sour cream out of soaked cashews and coconut milk and a pinch of salt. (kinda like the creamy pasta sauce) It was great on it. I'm going to make this again wihout meat and with more veggies like zuchini etc.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Your husband told me of your awesome cooking skills and let me know of your blog. My family and I are clients of his. I am only a year into this healthy cooking thing so I love good recipes.
    -Casey
    www.theangulos.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey - I'm glad you like my blog thanks -
    eating healthy is great there is so much yummy food out there that is good for you too. If you have any great recipes pass them our way too! Maybe I'll meet you in the office sometime :)

    ReplyDelete